a simple blog about me and things around me

March 03, 2006

Rasmus Lerdorf’s no-framework PHP MVC framework


Rasmus Lerdorf, creator of the PHP langauge, has a new tutorial on his site today that looks at the creation of a "no-framework PHP MVC framework" using PHP5, the Yahoo! User Interface Library, and JSON.
So you want to build the next fancy Web 2.0 site? You'll need some gear. Most likely in the form of a big complex MVC framework with plenty of layers that abstracts away your database, your HTML, your Javascript and in the end your application itself. If it is a really good framework it will provide a dozen things you'll never need.
I am obviously not a fan of such frameworks. I like stuff I can understand in an instant. Both because it lets me be productive right away and because 6 months from now when I come back to fix something, again I will only need an instant to figure out what is going on. So, here is my current approach to building rich web applications.

The no-framework PHP MVC framework - Rasmus' Toys Page

No comments: